Friday, November 16, 2012

Observations from the Greek text in John's Gospel: John 6:22-59


The “Bread of Life” story is a fascinating one.  In it, we learn that Jesus is bread of life and he will resurrect the one’s who believe in him at the last day.  Here are some of my observations about that text.

There are several “I am” statements.  They start in verse 35.

ἐγώ εἰμι ὁ ἄρτος τῆς ζωῆς (I am the bread of life)

In verse 41, the leaders of the Jews restate it.

ἐγώ εἰμι ὁ ἄρτος ὁ καταβὰς ἐκ τοῦ οὐρανοῦ (I am the bread which came down from heaven)

In verse 48:

Ἐγώ εἰμι ὁ ἄρτος τῆς ζωῆς. (I am the bread of life.)

and in verse 51:

ἐγώ εἰμι ὁ ἄρτος ὁ ζῶν ὁ ἐκ τοῦ οὐρανοῦ καταβάς (I am the living bread which came down from heaven)

Another interesting thing about this passage is the word play that is created around “to eat”.  Up unto verse 54, Jesus uses the Greek verb ἐσθίω (to eat).  In verse 54, Jesus changes to τρώγω which also means “to eat”.  He does use ἐσθίω again in verse 58, but it is directed to the Jewish fathers who ate manna in the wilderness and died.

Interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment